03 May 2018

A teacher's lifelong battle with dyslexia

Excerpts from a thought-provoking story:
And then in the second grade we were supposed to learn to read. But for me it was like opening a Chinese newspaper and looking at it - I didn't understand what those lines were, and as a child of six, seven, eight years old I didn't know how to articulate the problem...

By the time I got to the fifth grade I'd basically given up on myself in terms of reading. I got up every day, got dressed, went to school and I was going to war. I hated the classroom. It was a hostile environment and I had to find a way to survive. By the seventh grade I was sitting in the principal's office most of the day. I was in fights, I was defiant, I was a clown, I was a disruptor, I got expelled from school...

I could write my name and there were some words that I could remember, but I couldn't write a sentence - I was in high school and reading at the second or third grade level. And I never told anybody that I couldn't read...

So I graduated from college, and when I graduated there was a teacher shortage and I was offered a job. It was the most illogical thing you can imagine... I taught a lot of different things. I was an athletics coach. I taught social studies. I taught typing - I could copy-type at 65 words a minute but I didn't know what I was typing. I never wrote on a blackboard and there was no printed word in my classroom. We watched a lot of films and had a lot of discussions...

I was reading to our three-year-old daughter. We read to her routinely, but I wasn't really reading, I was making the stories up - stories that I knew, like Goldilocks and The Three Bears, I just added drama to them.

But this was a new book, Rumpelstiltskin, and my daughter said, "You're not reading it like mama." My wife heard me trying to read from a child's book and that was the first time that it dawned on her. I had been asking her to do all this writing for me, helping me write things for school, and then she finally realised, how deep and severe this was...

So one Friday afternoon in my pinstriped suit I walked into the library and asked to see the director of the literacy programme and I sat down with her and I told her I couldn't read. That was the second person in my adult life that I had ever told.
The rest of the story is at the BBC.

4 comments:

  1. I had quite a few students who had problems reading. Some were dyslexic, some had other problems. I did my best to diagnose and get them help. This man was really fortunate. Of course, most of my students were Latino immigrants, and some had never been to school at all (before arriving at high school age). Others were just considered stupid. Those who spoke Spanish with little or no English had no chance of being tested, or being in programs that would help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it dyslexia or illiteracy in general?I didn’t see any mention of dyslexia specifically in there, I believe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article didn't specify dyslexia. That was my diagnosis.

      Delete
  3. It's very curious that he could copy-type (so the letters weren't reversing or being confused by his brain, as is more-common of dyslexia.) But it underscores how important it is that schools now provide LD programs and don't shame kids -- I mean the lengths this guy went, to the point of essentially becoming a criminal and a world-class manipulator, just so no one knew his secret or thought less of him!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...