29 December 2012

Find your home on a U.S. dotmap


Using data from the U.S. census, Brandon M-Anderson created the dotmap above, which depicts each of the 300 million U.S. residents with one dot.  The original map is zoomable, so I was able to zoom repeatedly to find my neighborhood:


Having a "blank" corn/alfalfa field nearby helped me find the right area.  It can be rather difficult, especially since conventional landmarks like roads are implied rather than specifically shown. 

Addendum:  xcentric notes that there is a toggle to a conventional map in the upper right corner.

Via Boing Boing.

2 comments:

  1. Also the dropdown in the upper right that lets you toggle between the dots and a google map helps too (I only noticed it after searching for my neighborhood).

    I found it interesting that the small lakes in my area were covered in dots, but that the industrial areas were the easiest voids to use as landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!! I hadn't noticed the toggle. Added as an addendum. Tx, xcentric.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...