27 August 2012

LinkWithin added to the blog

Today I added a widget called "LinkWithin," which adds internal links to other posts on TYWKIWDBI.  I did this not to increase pageviews, because I don't have any click-related revenue, but to try to enhance the experience by steering readers (especially new readers) to relevant past posts, rather than having to search for and link to those posts while I write the text.

At present I seem to have placed the widget within the body of the post, which is not what I wanted; I would prefer that it come at the very bottom, after the social media links and the "labels" information.  I found this information -
Modify your HTML template to add the code below at the place where you want the widget to appear: <div class="linkwithin_div"></div>
- but I'm understandably nervous about even opening my template for fear of screwing something up (I minimally modified the blog format from a preset template).

It's also too small.  I installed the three-thumbnail-wide version, then wanted to change to the five-thumbnail-wide version, but haven't successfully been able to alter it.

Most importantly, it's not currently linking to "relevant" past posts, which was my goal.  It seems now to be linking to random past posts.  My understanding is that it takes time for LinkWithin to "prowl" the blog and categorize the relevance of past links based on keywords.  I'll give it a few days to see how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. ive been using linkwithin for a year or so now and it still takes a couple days for the posts to match up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like it when I tried it so I switched it off again, but most of the times when I encounter a blog using linkwithin I click more than I usually do. So maybe I will switch it on again. BTW you can save (ie backup) your template and then start playing with it. Or even better: create a test blog. It's free and you can use it whenever you want to try out something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I HAVE a test blog (forgot all about it). I'll try fiddling there. Tx, Rob.

      p.s. - saw your Jane Grey post earlier today; I hope to reblog it tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I like the concept, especially if the "relevant" part kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still trying to figure out how to search the site. there's a thing that says "search" but no bar. or maybe my browser isn't displaying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, see this post -

      http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2012/08/btw-tywkiwdbi-does-have-search-box.html

      Delete
  5. Is rabbit hole or rat hole the right metaphor?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...