24 April 2012

"Size inflation" in clothing

Clothes with the same size label have become steadily larger over time. Measurements vary a bit by brand, but research by The Economist finds that the average British size-14 pair of women’s trousers is today more than four inches wider at the waist than a size 14 in the 1970s, and over three inches wider at the hips.

This means that today's size 14 fits like a former size 18; a size 10 fits like an old size 14. The same "downsizing" has also happened in America where, to confuse matters further, a size 10 is equivalent to a British size 12 or 14, depending on the brand.

As the average person’s weight has risen over the years, fashion firms have increased the measurements of their garments, partly in the belief that women feel better (and so are more likely to buy) if they can squeeze into their old size.

9 comments:

  1. I HATE that they do this. Why can't woman have pants sized like mens? It would make it a heck of a lot easier finding cloths. I have 4 different brands of pants all with different sizes on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mens pants sizes aren't necessarily true (or consistent), either:

      http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710

      Delete
    2. Ok I guess what I mean is that I wish the'd go by inches rather then "size."

      Delete
    3. The thing that has always astounded me about women's clothing is that despite the fact that women have *more* measurements (inseam, hips, waist, bust, etc) they use *fewer* measurements on clothing.

      At least I have the luxury of buying pants that are 32x34 while women are given only the information "size Z" for some value of Z.

      Delete
    4. The Gap does women's pants sizes as such: waist measurement/ size/ length (ankle, regular, or tall). So my jeans are a size 26/2a, or 26" waist, size 2, ankle (short) length.

      The great part is that the 26" waist pants have about a 31" waist.

      I'm wondering, though, if that's not because of fit differences. The natural waist is at or above the navel and my pants are certainly NOT meant to sit that high. So maybe it means that the pants are made to fit on the hips of someone who has a 26" natural waist?

      Delete
  2. This is maybe the worst graph ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said the same thing for years. I sew and have women's patterns from the late 60s, early 70s, and I used a size 10 pattern for pants I sewed way back then. I'm about same weight and size today and I usually buy what is now a size 4. All this chicanery just so someone can say they're still the same size they were twenty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! Have you ever tried on clothing from an antique shop? The biggest (and coolest) dresses barely fit my tiny teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I wore a size 12 in high school. Now I'm a size 8, and I'm a little bit heavier. I don't understand the point. My tall, thin grandmother wore a size 14! People always talked about how thin she was.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...