02 April 2012

How to save a Blogspot blog

A hat tip to The Daily Postcard for this reminder:
Click on Design in the upper right-hand corner of your blog window.

The new window that comes up will have a list on the left. Click on the last one: settings.

Then click on other at the bottom of the list.

Towards the top of the page, you will see Blog Tools; click on Export Blog.

Don't worry, this will not make your blog go away, but it will create a file that includes all of your posts and the comments too!
This was something I had been meaning to do for years, but kept postponing.  TYWKIWDBI has an archive of over 9,000 posts and 25,000 comments, so I'd hate to have it disappear.

The backup process took me less than five minutes, and used up only 80 MB on a thumb drive. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the instructions - and the reminder. It only took a few minutes to have both my blogs safely backed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this on two different blogs, and only apparently got the styling information--none of the posts' bodies themselves. Did anyone else have this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you get when you open up what you saved is not exactly what you see when you look at your blog. But it's the template that can be loaded back into Blogspot (or perhaps into other platforms) to reconstruct your blog.

      Delete
  3. This didn't work for me, unfortunately. It came up with this: Safari could not update this feed because the source file is no longer available. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it also save the photos too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Brian. I think it saves the code of where your photo is stored, whether at a hotlink or in the Blogger archives.

      Delete
  5. OK. I lost my previous oil painting blog and had to repopulate all my photos from scratch. It was because i deleted an album in google plus. there was no warning or anything. I since exported the blog to wordpress minus the deleted photos of course. But the blog in work is also blogger so I want to have teh archive of photos saved too if possible.

    Thanks for the advice.
    Brian.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...