29 March 2012

A child's walker


Fashioned in the era before plastics, this clever walker (made of ?rattan) is a detail in a larger painting entitled "The Treat," by Giovanni Sandrucci -


- which I found posted at Miss Folly.  I've not been able to find out anything more about the artist, except that he was Italian (1829-1897), so I presume the walker was a construction of that country in that era.  I should think the history of children's walkers would be an interesting topic to research for a longer post.

Addendum:  I just found a nice collection of images of baby walkers (dating back as far as the 15th century!) at A Polar Bear's Tale.

7 comments:

  1. If I can find it at work tomorrow, I'll post a pic of an Elizabethan baby walker from Harvington Hall. It's a pair of low rails along which baby slid in a sort of cursor arrangement.
    There is also a bump-cap, like a quoit made of padded silk with tapes over the crown which fits on baby's head.
    There's nothing new under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's such a pic: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2693196440097949574LwyrUw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the very one - I have a rather nicer pic of it somewhere, taken on a school trip.
      Harvington Hall is rather splendid - Elizabethan with real priest-holes and all. An excellent place to learn that sort of thing.

      Delete
  3. I would be surprised if it was made from rattan. Willow is more probable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right; I didn't know what word to use. Is "wicker" the same thing?

      Delete
  4. This walker looks as if it is made of stripped willow, much in the same way you would make a fishing creel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...