06 November 2011

Vassar basketball team, 1900

Photo credit Vassarcollegearchives, via Edwardian Era.

Addendum: reader Abie found this photo of the 1902 Smith College basketball team -
- whose members apparently include several girls named Amelia.  The photo was used to illustrate the Wikipedia page on bloomers (interesting in its own right).  After seeing it, I Googled several other combinations of "basketball" and years 1900-1910 and women/girls, and found a variety of similar whimsical group portraits.  Assembling a collection of such would be a nice project for an ambitious blogger (not me).

2 comments:

  1. Last week, I happened on this fabulous picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smith-College-Class-1902-basketball-team.jpg

    I think it would be a worthy addition to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite agree, Abie, and have added it to the post with some comments. Your find led me on an amusing search (on a day when I'm not supposed to be blogging, BTW...).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...