15 November 2011

TYWKIWDBI supports Wikimedia


This past week I sent a smaller-than-I-would-like donation to the Wikimedia Foundation, as an expression of my appreciation for the existence of Wikipedia.  It is, undoubtedly, the single quickest go-to source for me when I'm researching posts for this blog.  Even if you do not personally visit the site, if you are enjoying and learning from TYWKIWDBI on a regular basis then you are indirectly garnering benefits from Wikipedia.  I would be delighted if every reader of this blog would Paypal them a couple bucks as a thank-you.

You can make a donation via this link.

4 comments:

  1. I was told, via Wikipedia, that if every user donated a single dollar each year, they would have more than enough money to keep themselves going. I've set up a very small, automatic monthly contribution. I don't notice it coming out of my wallet but, if we all did it, they sure would notice the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter's grade one (!) class has decided to donate the money raised from their recent bottle drive to Wikipedia! Their teacher told me they use it multiple times a day - who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week I gave them what was, for me, a pretty substantial donation. There's rarely been a day in the past decade that I haven't used Wikipedia at least once a day, for my own personal information or in connection with my editorial work. If the Wikipedia article doesn't have the info I'm looking for, it almost always points me in the right direction via one of its links.

    It's hard to remember what it was like to have a burning question that just wouldn't get answered unless you were able to get to a library.

    --Swift Loris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Swift. I remember spending time in libraries, going from section to section (or floor to floor) to find cross-referenced items. And it wasn't that long ago. It's a different world now re information.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...