24 November 2011

Celebrating 1,000 Google followers


I kept one eye on the icons in my right sidebar this past week, as the number of followers crept toward what could be considered a milestone of sorts.  I installed the Google widget back in 2009, and by that November about 200 readers had signed on.  The following November there were 500, and then last week the number reached 1,000.  (If it actually is 1,000.  I suspect that the system is sort of like a Hotel California - or a Roach Motel - where people sign in, but never sign out.)

I'm not sure exactly what significance to put on this.  I don't carry ads on the blog, so increasing the number of visits per day (currently 4-5,000) doesn't generate any revenue.  But the number of readers is important to the extent that many of you contribute to the blog through comments, corrections, and suggestions.  About six weeks ago, a longtime Aussie reader left this comment (boldface highlight mine):
This seems to me an appropriate post on which to ask a question which has always lurked in the back of my mind. Given that you have such a wide following, with so many readers, why are there so relatively few comments on each post? So many other blogs have endless comments that I couldn't be bothered to read them all, yet I have time to read your daily posts and all of the comments that follow (which adds to the discourse immensely). I don't get it, what am I missing?
What that reader said is quite true, in my view - there are relatively few comments written on TYWKIWDBI posts.   I've seen mommyblogs and heres-what-I-had-for-lunch blogs where the author will post a photo of a hairball their cat threw up and get a dozen comments.   This blog averages only two comments per post, and the quality is immeasurably better.  If there's a photo from the World's Ugliest Dog Contest, instead of the mindless comments like ROFLMAO and "that dog looks like my first wife," the comments here would be more in the line of "Oh, that's a Mongolian water spaniel; we had one years ago and it's excellent with kids," and the second comment would be "Yes, but with that short snout they have obstructive apneas..." and so on.

I get the sense that the readers of this blog have a wide range of interests (and often a really deep knowledge base), and they typically "lurk" - for months or years, until a post hits their area of expertise, and then they jump in with additional information.  I have no plans to make this a community blog or to take on guest authors, but it sometimes works out almost like that because with so few comments and such useful observations, I'm able to boost the relevant information "above the fold" to enhance the body of the post itself.  Readers notify me that "you called it a monkey, but it's an ape," or "you're confusing stratosphere with troposphere."  There are readers who will chime in only twice a year to clarify the intricacies of mathematics problems.  And there's a small cadre of retired copyeditors who take the time to clean up my grammatical misadventures.  By the time the posts get scanned by what amounts to a thousand proofreaders, most of the errors get cleaned out.  And for that I'm always grateful.

There's one other aspect of the wide readership here that can be useful - to me and to you.   If you look in the right sidebar, you can see the widget showing which readers access this blog via Google Friend Connect.  I've labeled the widgte "Like-minded people," and it looks like this:

If you click on the double red boxes in the UR corner, the widget expands; you can then scroll back as far as you want until you see someone interesting, then click on their avatar.  Under "Links" you can see what blogs they author, and under "Sites I've joined" you can see which other blogs they read.

I've been exploring this resource for years.  At first I tried to visit everyone's blog at least once; now that's become impractical, but it's still a fascinating source of interesting (and unusual) material.  I have harvested (and credited, of course) a whole bunch of odd items from readers' blogs, a few of which I now visit on a regular (1-2X/wk) basis.  I found a nice video tonight, which I'll post later this weekend.

One cautionary note:  if you reason that "I read TYWKIWDBI, they read TYWKIWBI, therefore they must be like me," then you're going to be in for a surprise.  Most of these people are not at all like you.  In fact, I don't think it's unfair to summarize my long-term exploration of my readers' websites by saying...

Some of you guys have VERY WEIRD blogs.

I'll leave it at that (and it's intended as a compliment).

I'm going to take the next couple days off for Thanksgiving activities, so I invite all TYWKIWDBI readers to explore one another's websites.  There are people there from faraway places, people with specialty blogs that are stunning, and of course some that are totally NSFW.  Lots of librarians (for whatever reason), and lots of family blogs.  Occasionally it feels like you're peeking into someone's living room window, but of course the blogs were offered to the public on purpose, so there's no impropriety involved.  And you might find some links to add to your regular web browsing schedule.  I have.

40 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 1000!
    I don't really remember when and where I stumbled upon this blog, after that, yes I have been lurking, paying a visit once in a while. Then probably after I realized I wanted to be here whenever it's updated, I started following on Google Connect.
    I guess one thread that joins all these followers and readers is that we all love random trivia, from anywhere. Congratulations again :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually leave commenting up to others, but I will say that your blog is one of my favorites. You always come up with something new and unexpected, and you're right; quality is better than quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google is going to discontinue Google Friends Connect very soon. I don't think there are words on what will happen to existing followers. Please keep an eye out on the situation. I would hate to see you lose all your Followers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blog, but I'm here at least twice a day, no matter what...
    Still love trilliums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABC, it wouldn't be a tragedy. If readers still want the content, they can just bookmark the link into a folder of places to visit each week or something like that.

    addendum: I just searched for relevant news and found this:

    "Google Friend Connect, which allows website publishers to add social features to their sites, will be retired in March for all non-Blogger websites, Google said. It suggested that websites use its Google+ social network instead."

    If that's the case, the termination will be a non-event here, because TYWKIWDBI is a Blogger website.

    Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your blog went down and away for good, I would feel robbed of wonderful information. The comments are a good portion of that experience, and the comments that come to my e-mail after I have said my bit are often so interesting that I have to scope out the folks who likewise responded to the odd post that made me comment in the first place. Whew.

    I think that good content is a light in the darkness and attracts all sorts of interesting minds. Good folks here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had actually checked a few times to see if you were on g+, but never got a meaningful result for searching 'TYWKIWDBI'. If you posted about joining, I must have missed it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFLMAO... just kidding!

    Excellent blog, wonderful comments. Thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that great post and the wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't comment because I don't usually have anything contributory to say, but I do love this blog and subscribe to it via google reader. It's one that I forward most often and share frequently, and in fact I know that I've gotten other people hooked as well. You produce a fine site here, and I think you're a lovely curator of all things, internet and otherwise.

    I have no idea why people read those what I had for lunch blogs either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the good work, Stan. Judging from your invitation for "former students" to contact you, I presume you are/were a teacher of some kind. I believe you must have been an awesome teacher, as the far-ranging interests your blog demonstrates must have made for some interesting classes! I too check the blog at least once daily, and have turned at least a dozen others onto it. I too particularly enjoy the comments - it's fascinating to see what other people think of the stories. Congratulations, and PLEASE keep up the good work! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on hitting the 1000 mark. I suspect that there are a bunch more who aren't on the google list (like me). I have you bookmarked and generally check you once a day (more when I need a break).
    Thank you for putting together a wonderful blog.
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...and 1000 isn't really accurate, because I'd suspect most readers don't follow; you are on my sidebar however, so I always know when you're posting something new.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What you don't see are the secondary comments that take place after someone shares one of your nuggets on their own site, or with their own connections. Just look at Neatorama for instance--tons of your stuff gets linked from there, so you miss out completely on the ripple effect as your efforts ounce around the interwebs. Keep it up--very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't know that i'm included in the 1000 followers, since i use RSS feeds + igoogle to follow the blogs i like.

    TYWKIWDBI is one of the very few that i check daily, and if i don't have time right away, i make a point to spend 5-10 minutes later to come back and get caught up on posts i've missed.

    you have a wonderful sense of curiosity and playfulness and i love the way this comes through every post, whether it's something you're very already knowledgable about and sharing your own knowledge, or a curious photo you've posted to try to gain more insight.

    the Smile post from a week or two ago, and the comments that followed it, are a prime example of the spirit in which i think of this blog, even if the posts only average 2 comments per.

    we're out here, reading, soaking it up. i'm with several of the anonymous posters who don't comment more simply because i feel out of my depth. rest assured every post you make is read and enjoyed, whether it's a single photograph,or several pages/paragraphs long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're on my RSS feeder (My Yahoo) just under my calendar and although I don't often have anything to contribute I always appreciate your enlightening content and the quality comments that often follow. Assuming there are many more ways to follow your posts, I send congratulations on possibly double the followers that Google shows. I am reassured that there are so many people 'out there' with open and curious minds, (which practically defines librarians BTW). Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being a reader for years now, I've only subscribed this week, and after I did so I noticed the 1000 mark; so I belive I have this honor.
    Congratulations, Stan, for all that you do! You are a really remarkable person. My best wishes for you and your family on the hollidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Stan. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done on your milestone. Your blog is 1 of roughly 8 that I check on a daily basis. Don't comment much on the internet anywhere. You should feel privileged that I comment here at all! :P

    Your site is one of the few I have found where the comments by readers can actually be insightful, rather than the usual decent into bickering found almost everywhere.

    You can pretend from now on, that when ever you post something. You'll have a an extra +1 invisible post from me stating "awesome post", "never knew that" or "very interesting", as is the case 99% of the time.

    I'm not into butterflies, but I look forward to finally hearing about the cause of the washed up feet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Minnesotastan,

    I *assumed* that Blogger sites will be next on the list to be discontinued. With Google Plus blooming, I thought Google will transition everything over to G+.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not sure of the relevance since I don't blog, I've got you bookmarked. Also, I didn't Google you, I believe it was through "Stumbleupon". Further, though, I keep a handful of pages up at all times: national news, email, fb, weather and TYWKIWDBI. And I've often wished you had a "like" button of some sort just so I could add my approval of your post when I have nothing of import to add in the comments section (which is generally the case).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great blog !
    Something to consider, I have been following for quite some time, and didn't think to link / subscribe on Google until this post !

    Thanks again !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm highly resistant to any form of social networking, so I never signed up with Google Friend Connect.

    But TYWKIWDBI is my surfing "dessert," after I've slogged through the political blogs and the Times and more serious/important/boring stuff. It's always a delight, not just the fascinating content but the inviting tone of the posts, plus the wonderfully varied and knowledgeable contributions of the commenters.

    Congratulations are definitely in order on your milestone.

    --Swift Loris

    ReplyDelete
  24. P.S.: I hasten to add that I didn't mean to suggest that your posts are strictly frivolous. Often they're on serious/important topics. But they're never, ever either boring or a slog!

    --Swift Loris

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the milestone! I don't remember what first brought me here, but I'm very glad it did.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a picture and a few dozen well-chosen words are worth ten times that. I think the key to your success is the combination of your strong visuals and succinct writing. Because a reader/viewer actually has to think about the information presented curtails the frivolous and inane comments. Simple format + complex content is a winning formula.

    ReplyDelete
  27. my life is ever-so-slightly less interesting when you take your brief hiatuses. thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. To add a small tweak to your observation that you have a readership with a wide range of interests, I think one of the strengths of your blog is that you post on a wide range of subjects. I love the fact that I never know what I'm going to find here! I think the wide range of your subjects is also a big reason for the low number of comments. If there is a blog about "what I ate for lunch", whoever goes to that blog knows what they are going to find every time and probably feels some sort of connection on the subject. The readers of those types of blogs have an interest in, and probably an opinion on, the subject. It is much easier for them to feel the need and the freedom to post a comment. On the other hand, most of your readers do not have an such a ready opinion about each of your posts. For example, I am not against, but neither am I an avid fan of, butterflies. Consequently, I enjoy reading your posts about butterflies and seeing the beautiful photographs, but I do not have the desire or expertise to comment about them. I will also say that you have sparked my interest in a few subjects such as your posts regarding stonework. I have thoroughly enjoyed those even though it is not a subject to which I have ever paid attention before. Thanks for all of the interesting posts. I check your site at least once a day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ah: most Mommyblogs (bad word, sit stay) seem to invite "me too!" comments. You, notsomuch.

    I decided mine was much the same. If we reach a conclusion or aren't asking for affirmation, there seems to be no reason for comment.

    That being said, I link you more than just about anyone else - 'cept Cheezburger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sybil, I didn't mean the term "mommyblog" to be condescending. I thought it was just a general category, like calling TYWKIWDBI an "aggregator" blog.

    Perhaps "personal/family blog" would have been a better term.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations, and I agree that the comments here are unusually sparse but almost always enlightening.

    Thank you Minnesotastan, and thank you fellow readers (and commenters).

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have enough comments to keep you going; when I look at one like the Presurfer that doesn't get any at all, I wonder how he keeps doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gerald Vlemming's Presurfer was a role model of an accumulator blog for me when I started blogging. I featured him in a post three years ago -

    http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2008/08/presurfer-highly-recommended-blog.html

    - and still visit on a regular basis. I agree it is curious that he receives so few comments on his posts.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey there I am top right of page 3! Does the sorting mean anything or is it all random??? Love the posts, you have quite a unique and tasteful and intelligent selection. keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The sorting is in the order that the Google widget shows them, with the most recent arrivals at the top (as opposed to the natural world, it's not a matter of randomness and natural selection). The odd shadowing resulted from my need to take a bunch of small screencaps and stitch them together.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this blog.

    I would leave a longer comment but my boss is being annoying this afternoon, so.

    I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow. No shortage of comments on this post. In a typical scholar's reply, you answered the question and more. Congratulations and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your blog, it's on my regular reading list because your content is usually more varied than others I read, generally different articles and fewer things I've already seen in other blogs. My biggest gripe is that I can't get it in my email! (What can I say, I'm lazy!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...