04 April 2011

Pheasant for dinner

Chris Bailey was photographing pheasants on the frozen plains of South Dakota early this month. But his photoshoot was interrupted when a huge Bald Eagle swooped down and made off with one of his subjects. Chris had struggled through deep snow in -28 degree temperatures to photograph the pheasants but was delighted to capture the attack instead.

I found this interesting because I've grown up seeing eagles at the lake and have generally viewed them as mere scavengers of dead fish on the shoreline.  It's good to see one in action exhibiting raptor-like qualities.


Photo from an interesting gallery at The Telegraph.

2 comments:

  1. I go fishing on the Menominee river a few times a year and I see the bald eagles fishing all the time. They are better than I am and usually catch bigger fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I run with my terrier (here on Vancouver Island) I'm usually quite tense when there's a bald eagle circling overhead. Twenty-pound salmon or twenty-pound dog is all the same to him!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...