22 March 2011

Red Tibetan mastiff puppy

The Telegraph explains why these dogs sell for over a million dollars:
Tibetan Mastiffs are huge and fierce guard dogs that have stood watch over nomad camps and monasteries on the Tibetan plateau for centuries. They are thought to be one of the world's oldest breeds, and legend has it that both Genghis Khan and Lord Buddha kept them.

More recently, however, they have become highly-prized status symbols for China's new rich. The dogs are thought to be a pure "Chinese" breed and they are rarely found outside Tibet, giving them an exclusivity that other breeds cannot match.

Accordingly, prices have risen from around 5,000 yuan a puppy five years ago to the hundreds of thousands and even millions.
More details at the link, via 22 Words.

2 comments:

  1. I am always fascinated by what the new class of uber rich Chinese are obsessed with buying. My friend the wine importer says they are snapping up Chateau Rothchild wines for outrageous sums. Many drink it mixed with coca cola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over twenty years ago I used to work in a chinese restaurant in USA. That has been the most disgusting working place I`ve ever worked!
    Customers were these uber rich chinese men which thought that everything is for sale!
    Owner of that restaurant was an old chinese lady and her half american daughter.
    When certain millionaire entered I had to stand beside his table all night worshiping he`s every wish! Owners commanded me to let this swine to take me home with he`s limousine etc etc.
    When this ugly, disgusting old man found out that I love dogs, he commanded owners to serve dog meat that I had to serve him. Before I knew what was on a dish he asked me to taste it. I did not and he, after tasting a little bit, send the dish back to the kitchen!
    That whole episode was just to show me he`s superiority and attempt to force me obey this abhorrence kinky.
    I left my job immediately and I came back to Scandinavia. My american room mates told me afterwards that this restaurant owner daughter came twice to ask for me. She sended me a message that they want me to come to work as a restaurant manager on a monthly salary bases.
    She was ready to pay for information of my new address and telephone number and so on.
    My opinion is that when it comes to chinese millionaires Kungfutse has lived for nothing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...