06 August 2010

"Ough"

Most people are aware that the letter combination "ough" has many possible pronunciations.  According to Wikipedia, there are six in North American English and over ten in British English Examples listed at the link, and some are incorporated into this verse:

The baker-man was kneading dough
And whistling softly, sweet and lough.

Yet ever and anon he'd cough
As though his head were coming ough!

"My word!" said he," but this is rough:
This flour is simply awful stough!"

He punched and thumped it through and through,
As all good bakers dough!

" I'd sooner drive," said he " a plough
Than be a baker anyhough!"

Thus spake the baker kneading dough;
But don't let on I told you sough! 

The image I've embedded above comes from an edition of The Story of Simple Simon, printed in~1850-64.   I noticed the "bough/slough" matching, which implies that the two words rhymed in common use at the time.   I'm not sure how, unless "slough" was pronounced "slOW" rather than "slOO."  I'm in too much of a hurry to look it up right now.  I suspect someone else will...

5 comments:

  1. Pronouncing slough as "sloo" is an American phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slough would rhyme with "now" - this is the pronunciation when the meaning is a muddy marsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another similar poem that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that would certainly make sense. Thank you all.

    stan

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my English ears, there is only one pronouncation of slough, be it referring to marshland or the place.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slough

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...