02 November 2009

Pictures from Afghanistan

An Afghan girl stands on a hill at a cemetery... (Paula Bronstein /Getty Images)

...young Afghan day labourers Amin, 13 (R) and his brother Taza, 12 (L) make bricks on the outskirts of Kabul... (SHAH MARAI/AFP/Getty Images)

[Three women] who fled from abusive family members, stand for a picture... (AP Photo/Farzana Wahidy)

An Afghan boy runs with balloons to join his friends in dusty alley in Kabul... (AP Photo/ Gemunu Amarasinghe)

Selections from a remarkable set of 43 photos at Boston.com's Big Picture. The one I most wanted to blog was #20, but out of deference to the sensibilities of some readers of this blog, I'll leave it "under the fold."

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame. #20 is very powerful. I did not find it disturbing at all. Reality just is.

    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The balloon picture is just breathtaking. Perfect.

    I find Afghans to be such a beautiful people. Their suffering has been going on for so long. Still, I can't help but be slightly encouraged when I see pictures of little girls finally getting to go to school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...