03 November 2009

Lunch for six: $47,000 (with drinks and tip)


Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.
--F. Scott Fitzgerald, in his short story The Rich Boy.

According to Buzzfeed: "This is an actual receipt from Nello's in New York City. The customer was Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, who had no problem dropping 47k on food and drinks for himself and five other people."

Personally, I couldn't afford the "large water." What is more interesting to me is that in researching this post, I Googled the vaguely-remembered Fitzgerald quote and found this explanation of a legendary Ernest Hemingway reply:

Usually, Fitzgerald is quoted as saying: “The rich are different from you and me.” And, Hemingway is quoted as responding: “Yes, they have more money."

In fact, this is a mythical quote-counterquote.
Explanation at the link.

5 comments:

  1. Heck, if it weren't for the seven $5,000 bottles of wine, it would have been a quite reasonable tab, only about $1,666 per person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they asked for a doggy bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As extravagant as the total looks, I'm more curious as to what kind of a meal/setting it was in. Obviously the restaurant is classy--but how classy? What kind of meal, exactly, does $47k buy you?? I wish there were pictures of the food & restaurant to accompany the receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the total includes a 20% gratuity. How would you like to be the server that made a tip of over $7000 on a single table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That gratuity is split between all waiters/tresses and bussers. At least in regular restaurants. Who knows here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...