07 October 2009

Ocean vs. open pit mine - ocean wins


In Malaysia a tin mine was excavated right adjacent to the ocean.
In 1993 "I received a call by the owner of a tin mine. He said that his mine, which had been running for a few decades, was about to collapse. I rushed to the scene with my video camera and waited for a few hours. Finally, I took this valuable footage. Although the footage lasted only a few minutes, it is horribly exciting enough."
This is low-resolution video shot by an amateur, but the event is spectacular - first a landslide of the oceanside wall of the mine, followed by an inrush of the ocean.

A slightly better version of the video is here, some info and links here, and a Google map satellite photo of the result here.

4 comments:

  1. Great video. It reminds me of the theory of the black sea flood (how the med and the black sea were connected in a great flood, giving posible impetus the the biblical flood of noah). As the Wiki article covers, the connecting of those two seas may not have been as catastrophic, but rather gradual due to rising sea levels in the Med.

    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/b
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_theory
    lacksea/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry on the event. There is a link there to the Google Map of the area as well as to a post in a landslide blog I read regularly now, but hadn't been when the author posted on the landslide. Excellent vid clip; thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - good point! I actually had the very same thought as I watched the video, then forgot to mention it when I wrote up the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the aerial map of the site it looks like someone is creating a little island by connected ponds or a canal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...