05 March 2013

Janis Joplin performs "Little Girl Blue"



Here are two versions of "Little Girl Blue" - one a live performance from 1969, and the other a studio recording.
Sit there, hmm, count your fingers.
What else, what else is there to do ?
Oh and I know how you feel,
I know you feel that you’re through.
Oh wah wah ah sit there, hmm, count,
Ah, count your little fingers,
My unhappy oh little girl, little girl blue, yeah.

Oh sit there, oh count those raindrops
Oh, feel ’em falling down, oh honey all around you.
Honey don’t you know it’s time,
I feel it’s time,
Somebody told you ‘cause you got to know
That all you ever gonna have to count on
Or gonna wanna lean on
It’s gonna feel just like those raindrops do
When they’re falling down, honey, all around you.
Oh, I know you’re unhappy.

Oh sit there, ah go on, go on
And count your fingers.
I don’t know what else, what else
Honey have you got to do.
And I know how you feel,
And I know you ain’t got no reason to go on
And I know you feel that you must be through.
Oh honey, go on and sit right back down,
I want you to count, oh count your fingers,
Ah my unhappy, my unlucky
And my little, oh, girl blue.
I know you’re unhappy,
Ooh ah, honey I know,
Baby I know just how you feel.
Janis' lyrics (above) are a bit different from those in the original Rogers and Hart creation. You can hear that version performed by Nina Simone at Montreaux (1976), by Carly Simon, by Judy Garland, and by Diana Ross.

(Reposted from 2010)

4 comments:

  1. I am always saddened when I listen to Janis and remember how talented she was and how short her life was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Girl Blew.

    She needed the money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get sad too. I was 17 when she died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember in short order that she, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix died around the same time and around age 27.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...