15 October 2009

Camouflage


Geckos are amazing creatures. I've previously blogged the Satanic Leaf-Tailed Gecko. Here is the Mossy Leaf-Tailed Gecko resting on a sapling in Madagascar, and demonstrating world-class camouflage:
As it awakens it raises its head, revealing the fringe along the sides of its body which blurs the line between itself and the substrate.
And having seen that, did you even notice the digits of its forelimb? Click to enlarge the picture.

Photo credit Gregory G. and Mary Beth Dimijian; photo collage created from three individual photos posted at their website.

2 comments:

  1. When I see pictures such as this, I always want to know something about the scale of things. For example, is this guy 3 cm long or 30 cm long? I know it's not your picture but perhaps you have some idea that you could pass along to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a third year vet student and appreciate these posts that make me appreciate how amazing these creatures are. After an insane day a beautiful picture, whether it be a gecko or buttefly, always make me smile and remember why I woke up this morning. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...