05 July 2009

Statue of Liberty - top view


For all of the thousands of times I've seen pictures of the Statue of Liberty, I have never before encountered one that looked down on the top of her head. The photo above is from National Geographic today; there is an equivalent view in color at the National Park Service website, and another view here.

I'm sure the wavy striations are supposed to be strands of hair, but I'll swear my first reaction on seeing the photo was that it was a Photoshopped image depicting the brain.

Via Sharp as Teeth and Stars.

7 comments:

  1. You can see the same striations in the last photo you link to in the hair around her forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that hair or a helmut. I was in her crown when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. helmet. or a helmut. i have no pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah - It's hair. As Swift Loris points out, you can see the same pattern repeated under the crown by her face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading older posts and just noticed this one. I did a triple take when I saw the picture,I also thought it was a brain! Hahah,oops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A story is told that when Bartholdi was sculpting the Statue of Liberty in an abandoned railway station and began creating the strands of hair shown in the photograph, friends admonished him that he was wasting time and money, since no one would ever fly over the statue when it was erected (and, of course, that was true in the 1870s). "No one will see the hair you have created and no one will know, Frederic, that you have gone to such pains to create such details." "I'll know," Bartholdi was alleged to havw replied.
    Richard Grossman willowr51 @ comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...