08 July 2009

Sarah "Full-Employment-For-Bloggers" Palin's basketball metaphor


I have very mixed feelings about how/whether to deal with Sarah Palin on this blog. Deep down inside, I'd really like to just ignore her the way I try to ignore Paris Hilton and Britney Spears and other "celebrities" whose raison d'etre is to be famous. I would like to ignore her like a crazy aunt locked in the attic whom you hope none of the neighbors can hear screaming. I didn't blog about her strange pregnancy or her troubles in Alaska because I thought it was over and done with (but I kept the links in case she crawled back into the limelight).

On the other hand, she does thrust herself into the spotlight, and she was considered by the Republican leadership to have qualities suitable for the presidency of this country, so when she decides to quit the governorship of Alaska without citing a rational explanation, it's an event that is hard to just ignore. The above diagram of the basketball analogy in her resignation speech was created by Ben Cohen and presented at Deadspin.

I don't have time to follow this story in detail. Those interested should turn to one of the politically-focused blogs; The Daily Dish keeps a running tab on the various theories and analyses of what Palin is up to (or not). For a local Alaskan viewpoint (one not friendly to Sarah Palin, I should add), try Progressive Alaska.

3 comments:

  1. And for "hard" news, the Anchorage Daily News (a McClatchey paper) is excellent (no particular friend of Palin's either editorially, but its reporting is straight-up):

    http://www.adn.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I missed something, but I felt that Sarah Palin's explanation for resigning as Governor of Alaska was relatively straight forward. While I don't personally think it was a wise decision, nor do I think that Palin is "presidential" material at this time, discounting her explanation as being irrational seems politically biased. Palin said that due to the financial costs to both herself and the state of Alaska, and the large amounts of Government time she and her staff have had to spend on defending her Administration from politically motivated and spurious ethics complaints, she is resigning. How difficult is that to understand?

    While I agree with many of her conservative views, Sarah Palin needed to spend additional time in office to um... put it frankly...season some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Spikey - in response to your comment, I went to the transcript of her resignation speech and still couldn't find what you claim about financial costs etc. I even did a search of the test for "financial" "costs" and "litigation" to make sure I wasn't missing something.

    I think the litigation thing is something she came up with afterward when noonecould discern a reason from her prepared comments.

    It has been pointed out on many blogs and the MSM that she doesn't save Alaska a penny in litigation costs because her defense would be by a full-time in house attorney who is paid whether she is sued or not.

    She's resigning for some other reason - maybe just to make $$ on the lecture and book circuit. The Alaska flag-waving is bullshit. Pardon my French.

    stan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...