03 July 2009

An incredible survival tale

The photo shows Juliane Koepcke, who at the age of 17 was a passenger in a small plane that disintegrated above the Amazon rainforest. She fell two miles (without a parachute, strapped to her plane seat), landing in the jungle and incurring (only) a fractured clavicle and some open wounds. The crew and other 91 passengers were killed. She then had to find her own way through the jungle:
"I had a cut on my arm and after a few days I could feel there was something in it. I took a look and a fly had laid her eggs in the hole. It was full of maggots... Later, after I was rescued it was treated and more than 50 maggots were found inside."
She encountered wreckage:
"I found another row of seats with three dead women still strapped in. They had landed head-first and the impact must have been so hard that they were buried almost two feet into the ground.
And crocodiles:
"Sometimes I would see a crocodile on the bank and it would start into the water towards me, but I was not afraid. I knew crocodiles don't tend to attack humans."
After 10 days in the Amazon she found her way to civilization. More details at CNN.

5 comments:

  1. I liked this part -

    "Koepcke says she is not a spiritual person and has tried to find logical explanations for why she survived."

    "Maybe it was the fact that I was still attached to a whole row of seats"

    AT LAST someone who doesn't credit GOD for saving her (and killing everyone else).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, Louann--nobody would say that God killed everybody else. What killed everybody else was that the plane broke apart, and what saved her were various physical reasons and her own personal strength.

    Informed religious believers will do what they can to protect their lives, thank God when their life is spared and not blame God if someone's life isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jesus was responsible for her safety. Jesus Christ, the almighty and everlasting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...