24 May 2009

Happy Birthday, Bob Dylan


Born 68 years ago today in Duluth, Minnesota. Six years later he and his family moved to Hibbing when his father developed polio (a few years before I did). Then to Minneapolis and the University of Minnesota's Dinkytown in 1959.

In the clip above he performs Mr. Tambourine Man at the Newport Folk Festival in 1964. This is archetypal classic Bob Dylan, because a year later he would be booed on the same stage for performing with an electric guitar rather than an acoustic one.

To celebrate his birthday, you could bake some of this mother's Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread (??!). The recipe is at The Clever Pup.

3 comments:

  1. you developed polio!? (or moved to Hibbing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of about 50,000 who developed polio in the epidemic of 1952 (along with my mom and my sister). Someday I'll blog about the Sister Kenney Institute and their hot pack treatment method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for mentioning my blog. I'm honoured you read me at all.

    I've had that recipe in my collection for a number of years though I've never tried it.

    I googled the recipe before I posted, and apparently I'm not the only one who has it.

    I'm getting pretty adept at reading my sitemeter and I'm getting some traffic, mainly from France, because of this shout-out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...