15 March 2009

I should apologize to the fashion industry


On several occasions I have mocked the fashion industry for producing creations that are ugly, ridiculous, or frankly bizarre. It's probably unfair of me to paint with such a broad brush. The outfit above, featured at Huffington Post, is obviously designed for a Muppet fan who wants to attend a St. Patrick's Day celebration.

And the one below, described as an "unusual wedding dress," appears simultaneously to serve as a sort of public service announcement promoting safe sex. Kudos to the designer for such social awareness.

3 comments:

  1. That "unusual wedding dress" is by Yves St Laurent. I saw it in the (?) flesh last year at a retrospective exhibition in Montreal, and spent the rest of the exhibition wondering whether anyone actually bought and got married in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the designs that you're "mocking" are not actually meant to be taken seriously. The fact that you've taken them all at face value says more about how limited your sense of humor is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may not have expressed myself quite clearly enough because my tongue was so far into my cheek:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...