06 January 2009

Sasha and Malia go to school



Sasha Obama, 7, peered out the window of a Secret Service vehicle as she left Sidwell Friends School in Washington, where her sister, Malia, was dropped off for the first day of school Monday. President-elect Barack Obama will be inaugurated Jan. 20. (Karen Bleier/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images)
When I saw the top photo, I was immediately reminded of the iconic Normal Rockwell image below it. And I was impressed by the vehicle itself - you know it must be bombproof, IED-proof, with multiple layers of steel walls and bulletproof glass - for understandable reasons, but the vehicle itself offering a sad commentary on the world we live in.

The photo and the painting are worlds apart in time and in the situation depicted; in fact, the differences are as striking as the similarities.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Stan. It's a very sad commentary that President-elect Obama and his family are in such danger. I pray that NOTHING evil ever befalls them. We are a people of civil discourse, and are past the days when we must use violence to resolve internal political divisions. I will never run for President, because I don't want my family to have to sit behind bullet proof glass for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...