08 January 2009

Re your dashboard oil light

Q: I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid and while I was driving it the oil light flickered a few times, then turned on and stayed on. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was full... I was only a few blocks from my home so I drove it to my house and noticed it was knocking... Do you have any ideas on what the issue might be or what I could do to try to fix it?

A: Regardless of the fact that the engine was full of oil, you should not have driven the car with the oil light illuminated. With most engines, the oil light -- which monitors engine oil pressure -- will come on if oil pressure drops below about 6 pounds per square inch. Considering that normal operating oil pressure is generally in the 30-to-60 psi range while driving and perhaps 15 to 25 while idling, putting the engine under load by driving with oil pressure so low can cause damage to engine bearings and other expensive engine parts.

Don't drive the car -- don't even start the engine. Have the car towed to a competent dealer or shop for inspection... If there's significant damage, well, I sure hope your car is still covered by warranty.

I have to admit I had no idea an illuminated oil light represented that emergent a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...