13 December 2008

Louis Armstrong - "What a Wonderful World"


Outstanding and inspirational. It's no wonder this video has been viewed 10 million times on YouTube.

Born illegitimately to an impoverished family in New Orleans, Louis Armstrong rose to such prominence that many consider him the most important musician in 20th century America.

It's interesting that at age 63 he became the oldest person ever to have a #1 hit on the pop charts, and in doing so he displaced... the Beatles! who had been #1 for the prior 14 weeks. His nickname, Satchmo, is an abbreviation of "Satchelmouth," referring to the embouchure he developed. He was an outspoken and financial supporter of the civil rights movement, and a frequent user of marijuana.

There are lots of songs and videos I could have embedded above. "What a Wonderful World" topped the British charts in 1968, but did not become popular in the U.S. until 20 years later when it was featured in the movie Good Morning, Vietnam. I chose it instead of "Hello Dolly" because it's so cheerful and upbeat - qualities that are particularly valuable after cruising the 'net for hours.

Shortly before his death he stated, "I think I had a beautiful life. I didn't wish for anything that I couldn't get and I got pretty near everything I wanted because I worked for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...