30 December 2008

Are we in the midst of a "forgetfulness epidemic" ??

Having an elderly parent with suboptimal short-term memory probably sensitizes me to such things, but over the past year or two I notice friends and acquaintances commenting offhandedly re their lapses of memory ("senior moments" according to some, or "CRAFT* moments" according to others).

Last week I received an email in which a friend commented "... my dad is getting forgetful, B----- is getting forgetful, J---E---- is getting forgetful... Bums me out." This afternoon I was walking downtown with a young friend who suddenly couldn't remember the (common) word he wanted to use in conversation.

It almost makes one wonder if the fast pace of our cyberworld lives keeps introducing so many facts/stories/videos/tunes into our brains that the cerebrum winds up having to zap its parameter RAM and reboot, and in the process loses a few "inconsequential" data bits. Or perhaps there's something in the air...

or in the water... [see next blog entry]

*Can't Remember A F------ Thing

1 comment:

  1. ummmm..... I forgot what I was gonna say....
    oh yea, just zip (or rar which ever you use) reboot and then un zip or rar which ever you use ...

    having suffered a head injury in my youth I find "that word" to finish is often (not there) it is embarassing at least and quite frustrating

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...